Monday, December 11, 2017

Serendipity and Follow the Star Cookies


My life is filled with serendipity (the art of happy accidents)! It makes every day an adventure. Here's just one example.

A few of we ladies were planning a cookie swap and one of my favorite cookies is molasses crinkles. Usually I frost them by drizzling a thin confectioner's icing (sugar and water) on them in a swirly pattern. But this time I remembered I had a lot of unwrapped Hershey kisses left over from making peanut butter blossoms with my grandchildren. Hmm...a spice cookie with a chocolate kiss on top? Can't go wrong with that -- spice and chocolate?

So when I took the cookies out of the oven I topped each one with a kiss. But these cookies are relatively flat compared to the blossoms and didn't look quite right. After a minute or two when the kiss was soft from the warm cookie, I pushed down the top. Looking at them I thought, "They look like the three kings' hats." And that got me thinking.

A friend once told me that one of the best ways to teach children the faith is to sacramentalize everything. So I decided to get out my frosting tips, make the confectioner icing, pipe a star around each little "hat" and call them "Follow the Star" cookies.

They're perfect! The hats remind us of the three kings, the icing star represents the star of Bethlehem, and the spice cookie reminds us of the spices of the East and the frankincense and myrrh the kings brought as gifts. And they are beautiful besides -- don't you think so?






No comments: