Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Dandelion Wine and the Virtue of Patience

 Every year I look at our bumper crop of dandelions and think, "I should make dandelion wine." Well, this year I finally did it, or, more accurately, I am doing it.

The other day, Larry and I picked two quarts of flowers, I trimmed them of stems and as much of the green as a scissors could remove, and began the process. After pouring boiling water over the flowers and several sliced lemons, I let them sit three days. Today I made the "infusion," adding 4 cups of sugar sugar, a cup of orange juice, a 1/2 teaspoon of ginger and a cup of cut up dried apricots to give it a little more body. (I sound like I know what I'm doing, right?)


Then I boiled the ingredients for an hour, strained the result into a container, added yeast when it cooled off a bit, and now it will sit until tomorrow when I will pour it into bottles, attach a pricked balloon to let out the air as it ferments, and put the bottles in a cool dark place for three weeks. Then it's cap and store for 6 months to a year.

What a lesson in patience!

 The instructions say you can drink it after six months but it will be better after a year. So next Easter we can celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord with (dandelion) water turned into wine.  No miracle, just a blessing from the Lord.

But we may cheat and open a bottle for our anniversary in October. I have a feeling waiting even that long will strain my patience.

No comments: